Apply for your Provisional Licence

Apply for your Provisional Licence

To apply for your provisional licence online for a moped, motorbike or car you must:

  • be at least 15 years and 9 months old
  • be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away
  • provide an identity document unless you have a valid UK biometric passport
  • provide addresses where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
  • pay £34 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
  • have your National Insurance number if known

Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.

 You can also apply by post by completing a D1 application form, which you can get from:

Postal applications take up to 3 weeks.

You must include:

You must send original documents – you can’t use the Post Office document certification service.

Send your completed application and payment to:

  • DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD – if all your documents are from the UK

When you have your provisional driving licence you can:

Your licence will say when you can start driving different vehicles. Check how old you have to be to drive them.

You can drive a car when you’re 16 if you get, or have applied for, the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

You must do several things before you drive a car or ride a motorcycle. These include getting a driving licence, registering, insuring and taxing your vehicle, and getting an MOT.

Before you drive or ride

You must:

Learner drivers

You must:

  • be supervised by a qualified driver (except if riding a motorcycle)
  • display L plates (L plates or D plates in Wales)

Vehicle requirements

The vehicle must:

You must also have a minimum of third party insurance that covers your use of the vehicle.

Changes to personal or vehicle details

You must tell DVLA if you:

%d bloggers like this: